Plek voor leuke en minder leuke bridge verhalen
Tijntje

Post by Tijntje »

David Burn (dburn op BBO):

I have fond (though in parts somewhat vague) memories of the first congress I played in Ireland, in the town of Portrush. In the words of one of my contemporaries who was there, the qualifying round of the pairs consisted of eighteen pints of Guinness, and it was meandering to a close when I played a hand in 3NT.

On the third round of my solid 4-4 club fit both opponents showed out, and neither felt inclined to show back in again when I played a fourth round. A diamond had been discarded by my right-hand opponent from four of them, so I next ran that suit (which had started life as ♦Qx facing ♦AKxx). On the last diamond RHO evinced much discomfort before pitching a spade, establishing a low card for me in that suit also and giving me the rest of the tricks. A heart discard would have had a similar effect, and of course the poor fellow could not part with his club because then I would have noticed that he had revoked.

Since I had lost no trick from the third round of clubs onward there seemed little point in summoning the Director from the bar, especially since I could not trust myself to remain upright for long enough to do so. I never did discover the name of my opponent, which in retrospect is something of a pity, for I am sure that bridge historians would be glad to give proper place to the only man ever to be squeezed in four suits.
I have certain god-like powers in the presence of alcohol.
(Bilious, the Oh God of Hangovers, from Hogfather by Terry Pratchett)
Mimamaaike

Re: Quote

Post by Mimamaaike »

Ik zie helemaal het gepijnigde gezicht voor me van de opponent :mrgreen:

Geweldig verhaal!